Friday 13 March 2009

Mrs Rant

I think it's probably unwise to write a post when you're angry, but one thing that irritates and frustrates me to distraction is when someone calls me 'Mrs'. I find it so unutterably offensive. Thankfully it doesn't happen often, but twice this week post has been received at this house addressed to "Mrs' and once, more unusually, to 'Miss'. Who is this 'Mrs Langley'? Certainly not me. I am not a 'Mrs' or a 'Miss'. I have never been a 'Mrs'. I never shall be a 'Mrs'. If I have to be given a title it is 'Ms', but in reality I'm just Ellie.

In the twenty-first century, how can women allow themselves to be discriminated against so blatantly? How can some men - and only some, I hasten to add - fail to understand how demeaning it is to advertise a woman's marital status and denote possession in this way?

I don't consider myself to be a radical feminist, but this makes my blood boil.

No comments:

Post a Comment